Of the millions of used cars sold in the UK every year most will be sold with only a single key.
Some of these new car buyers will be sensible and contact their local dealer or auto locksmith to buy a spare key. Unfortunately most of these motorists are still driving around with just one key, It is estimated that around 35-40% of motorists in the UK do not have a spare car key.
weather it be good practice or just for practicality it makes sense to have a spare key. Here are my top 10 reasons why every motorist should have a spare key.
- 1) Cost saving – Getting a second key from an auto locksmith while you have at least one working key will save you money. As an auto locksmith will normally have less work to do and will not need to gain entry to your car or remove any locks.
- 2) Easier for two drivers – Often cars are shared between two people and using just one key can increase the risk of the key becoming lost. If each driver of the car has their own key there is less chance of forgetting where the key is.
- 3) Peace of mind – Even if you are the only driver and an additional key is not being used, it still makes sense to have a spare car key kept somewhere safe. This removes the worry of losing your key and gives you a backup if you can’t find your key but know it is inside the house. If you are are running late you can take the spare key and find the missing key later when you have time.
- 4) Time saving – If you lose your only car key it could mean you are delayed and likely to miss important appointments. It could potentially see you go without your car for over one week. An auto locksmith can normally replace lost car keys within 24 hours but some main dealers will need to order a replacement key from overseas, taking as long as seven days.
- 5) Convenience – Should you accidentally lock your keys in the car you will have a spare key to unlock the vehicle and retrieve your keys. During the winter months thousands of motorists lock their keys inside a running vehicle whilst defrosting the windscreens. Having a spare key will save you both time and money in having to call out an auto locksmith while a spare car key will save you the hassle of towing your car into a the dreaded dealers or waiting around for an auto locksmith to arrive.
- 6) Snapped key replacement – Car keys are prone to bending and snapping. If your key snaps in two you will be extremely relieved if you have a spare in a safe place.
- 7) Security – In the event a car key is stolen you are at risk of the key thieves locating and steeling your car. Car thieves can probably get to your car before an auto locksmith, but if you have a spare key you can access the car and drive it to a safe place for an auto locksmith to cut a replacement key and erase the stolen key.
Hopefully my reasons for having a spare key have convinced you how important it is to have another key. if you only have one key don’t wait until it’s too late, call today and get a spare key cut.